I'm not here at the moment ....Guest Post Day

Hi, I'm not here at the moment as I'm off out tonight so if you'd like to leave a message please wait for the annyoing very long beep.


Well actually I'm here as today is Guest Post Day ( an idea from Little Mummy).


So I am very pleased to introduce (drum roll please) another redheaded celt for you: Mrs W@ Clinically Fed up


Of hugs and knowing and growing away

The conversation with my 4yo went like this... glass of wine in hand... my hand of course!

Paul: "You shouldn't drink that funny juice again"

Me: "What funny juice?"

Paul: "The funny juice you drank on the World's birthday"

Me: "Aaah... tequila"

 

He's right of course, I shouldn't, but me and tequila had already decided to call it quits.
I'm a bit sad, it's been nearly 24 years since we met, but irreconcilable differences and all that.

Not one to let a good thing go my son continued...

Paul: "Funny juice makes you silly"

Enough already child! I wouldn't call stripping off and laying down on a cold tile floor to remind yourself you have a body silly. This is silly....



Tequila took me full circle. When your kids are little you know every little part of them. You notice every nick, blister and bruise. You know where the rough bits are. You are forever looking, touching, mending and holding them. Not forever though. Never forever. You negotiate new physical boundaries with them all the time. They grow long and pointy, all angles and gangly sharpness and soon you find you can no longer scoop them up and squeeze a giggle from them. They wriggle to escape or limply hug back whilst gently pulling away. Then comes the first time you hear the words "Get off me" and you wonder where that came from. Soon the hugs become stolen and private, then awkward. Then you do it just to annoy them because deep down you know they really do want a hug. Of course they do. One day it dawns on you that you have no idea if they are cut or bruised, if there's a rough bit needing cream or a toe rubbing a shoe.

When, 30 odd years later on the World's birthday, you find your child giggling facedown on your bathroom tiles in her knickers "cos I wanna be cold" I can only imagine what goes through a mother's mind, when the little body they grew and held, tended and tickled is laid bare before them in all it's, ahem. glory.

Probably "Woah! You've let yourself go a bit there..."

Hug someone who's not expecting it. Keep your clothes on. Stay away from the tequila.

I'm going with all three.

Thanks to Little Mummy for organising a great guest blog post day and to Clinically fed up for her post.

Comments

  1. Oh you summed it all up perfectly!! I am currently in the "Then you do it (hug them) just to annoy them because deep down you know they really do want a hug." phase!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gigi - not me but have passed it on to Nikkii

    Nikkii - Tequila and I are no longer friends after a stint during University years where we fell out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LMAO!!!!!!!!!! Kids are to insightful sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Gigi I probably should have mentioned I have two stroppy teenagers too so I have a horrible plan laid before me of what's to come with this little one - doesn't make it any damned easier mind you!

    @BNM But strangley after my sister and I polished off that £90 bottle of tequila - no hangover! WTF is that all about? Oh we deserved one...

    @newdaynewlesson Aint they just!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aye, me and tequila also fell out a long time ago. Great post. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol at lying on floor to remind yourself you have a body, makes perfect sense to me:) Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Still in there for huggies esp when I have juice...not sure they're always going to be up for a hug but heck make hay while the sun shines!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hahahahaha :D
    I have sooooo many drunk stories that I could regale but I'm not doing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ha ha ha, i have done that (not naked i hasten to interject) in a nightclub bathroom - lying down just to feel the cold. Oh those were the days...erm, not.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmmm BNM would the fall out involve a sticky floored place and smuggled in tequila in water bottles to add to coke in order to afford to go out? Or was it disguised in coke cans in the welsh hills field trip?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello everyone, please leave me a comment because you know I go mad(der!) if you dont