That talk

Having two girls it is inevitable that at some point or other I'm going to have to have that talk with them. Luckily Car is only 4 so that won't be for a while and the last time we had any such discussion it grossed her out - it was the what is that scar talk (my c -scar)

Unfortunately it may be needed sooner rather than later with Bel. She is 9 in February and after the recent mood swings we've had me and Neb both think that it may be needed. I also think she is starting to bud (breast wise) and so its going to have to happen.

Now, I know I am not a prude when it comes to things of a sexual nature (I'm not!) but how do I go about with this kind of conversation. The conversation I had with my mum was kind of not really there and without being able to ask her now I'm a bit stuck.

I know there are some great books you can get for this sort of thing but would rather sit and explain than let her read book.

I did manage to have a bit of a conversation with her on the weekend about why she may be getting moody etc but that's as far as it got.

Please help me before I end up doing this




 and letting Neb do it!



Comments

  1. I honestly can't remember who I broached the subject with my eldest (now 11) I haven't had 'the talk' yet with my my 8 year old,she knows where babies come out but not how they get in there but in all fairness she has never asked many questions. I've always said to the girls ask me anything which is good and they feel they can talk to me. Honesty is the best policy,if they ask then answer-truthfully but in a way appropriate for their age. I had an incident of panic with my eldest a few weeks ago ,she has been doing sex ed at school and came home worrying about starting her periods. 'will it hurt Mum' Well yes was my honest answer,'but I don't want my womb to break!!' it seems the teacher had not explained things very well and she honestly thought her uterus would snap in two every month! I quickly explained about the lining breaking down and coming away so she felt a lot better,I'm glad she can talk to me though I kept thinking what if there is some poor girl who can't (or wont) talk to her Mum/Dad/etc and they are worrying themselves silly at home :( Anyway I am rambling now-I hope I made some sense and good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh sweetie - I wish I knew what to tell you - but I don't. I made Hubby have the talk with Man-Child because I knew it would kill MC if I did it. But it was about that age - and you do need to talk to her in terms right for her age. Unfortunately, it seems that children are maturing much sooner these days and they need to be aware of what is going on - plus you know she is hearing things at school from her friends. I would suggest getting a book - not for her; for you. To give you some idea of how to broach the subject. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I rarely leave a response, however i did some searching and
    wound up here "That talk". And I do have a few questions for
    you if you tend not to mind. Could it be only me or
    does it appear like some of the remarks look as if
    they are coming from brain dead folks? :-P And, if you are writing at other online social sites, I would like to follow everything fresh you have to post.
    Could you make a list of all of all your community
    pages like your linkedin profile, Facebook page
    or twitter feed?
    Feel free to visit my website : van nelle shag

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello everyone, please leave me a comment because you know I go mad(der!) if you dont