Taste and smile...

With the weather getting colder, my thoughts turn to autumnal cooking. Be it soup or cakes anything to keep us warm. So, when I was asked whether I wanted to try some of the recipes in the Tate and Lyle Taste and Smile recipe site , I jumped at the task
This is why last week, I spent some time peeling onions and set to making a soup.


Now, having cooked French Onion soup before I knew that it would take a long time. But this recipe, doesn't. There was no standing over the stove waiting for the onions to slowly soften. No, it was all done without any standing there at all (apart from peeling the onions!). I don't normally add sugar to the recipe I've used before but it gave the soup a yummy taste (though next time I may use a bit less)

Ingredients
  • 6 onions, peeled and cut into wedges
  • 375ml water
  • 75g Tate & Lyle Demerara Sugar
  • 75ml balsamic vinegar
  • 2tbsp groundnut oil
  • Salt and pepper
  • 500ml good quality beef stock
  • 4 slices of baguette
  • 2tbsp Cheddar cheese, grated
How to make this recipe
  1. Place the onions, water, Tate & Lyle Demerara Sugar, vinegar, oil and seasoning in a large pan. Bring to the boil.
  2. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 40 to 45 minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated.
  3. Add the beef stock and simmer for five more minutes.
  4. Meanwhile, sprinkle the baguette slices with cheese and grill until the cheese has melted and is starting to brown.
  5. Divide the soup between two bowls and sit two slices of cheesy bread on top of each bowl.
  6. Season again before serving.
A lovely warming soup for these cold autumn evenings

BNM

I was sent the Tate and Lyle recipe book alongside some pack of Tate and Lyle sugar. All opinions given in the post are my own and the recipe shown is from the recipe book.