Winter warmer recipe - Sausage Casserole

Last night with the wind howling down the chimney and along the street, I was glad to be in the warmth. And when feeling warm what better thing to do than cook.

We had sausages and mash last night which is always a meal that makes me feel warm but then with the leftovers I made a Sausage Casserole. Now, my Sausage Casserole can take many forms and normally contains anything that needs eating in the fridge.

So, here is the basis of my Sausage Casserole:

Ingredients

1 tbsp olive oil (except last night I tried hemp oil and it was delicious- very nutty!)
1 onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, chopped (optional - yes I forgot!)
3 Sausages - chopped (if you like your casserole more sausagey then add more)
1 x tin tomatoes - I used cherry tomatoes and they are delicious change to chopped tomatoes
Worcester sauce - 1 tbsp
Tomato Puree - 1 tbsp
Herbs - dried, fresh or Knorr Herb Infusion Stock Pot (which again I'd never used before)

Selection of chopped vegetables - I had green and yellow pepper. I was hoping to have courgettes which I also use but it was a bit squidgy so got thrown! I think this casserole is a good way of clearing out the salad/veg draw! I also use mushrooms if I have any but alas not this week

Dried pulses or beans - I sometimes add tinned bitter beans or chickpeas (in right at the start as I like them squidgy) but last night I used red lentils that were lurking at the back of the cupboard.


Method

Saute onions in oil (add garlic if using)
Add sausages and cook all until golden (again optional, you are cooking the casserole in the oven so the sausages don't have to be browned)
Add vegetables and pulses. Stir.
Add tin tomatoes, stir and then add Worcestershire Sauce and Tomato Puree. Add Herbs

Bring to boil and then cook at Gas Mark 5 for 30 minutes


Scrumptious and nearly all gone, something to keep you warm on these cold winter nights

BNM

I'm entering this recipe into the Unilever Comfort food competition. Huge thanks to them for the hamper I received