Welsh cakes

As we all know I'm 100% Welsh.. my parents were both Jones (yes even before marriage although not related) and the blood that pours through these veins have made in Wales stamped on it!

So as Saturday was St David's Day or Dydd Gwyl Dewi Sant, I thought I'd make something 'Welsh'. At home we would have had Cawl (or Lobsgows if your from North Wales) but both the kids and Neb don't eat it (and I can't make a whole pan full just for me). I thought of making Bara Brith, which I've made before but then I wanted to be able to eat it and I don't like currants.

In the end I decided to make some Welsh cakes (or Pice ar y Maen - which I've never called them!) and hunted for a recipe. Welsh cakes should have currants or mixed fruit in them but I remember when I was little my Mamgu making me some on her Aga hot plate without currants in so I divided the mix in two and added currants to one half.

Recipe:

125g of butter
250g of self raising flour
75g of caster sugar
pinch of mixed spice
100g of currants (mixed fruit ) - we only had 50g so it was perfect for normal and special welsh cakes

Method

Mix butter and flour together. Add sugar, mixed spice and currants. Form a dough. Leave in fridge for 30mins. 
Now as can be seen from the recipe it wasn't going to form anything as there was no wet ingredient. I realised this after it had chilled for 30 mins so added milk.
The dough was then not that easy to roll out - so I patted out like when I make scones and cut circles out.

Then cook on griddle, aga stone or dry frying pan (without butter) on medium heat until brown.





Welsh cakes are easy to make and the kids can join in. Mine helped with the mixing but when I discovered that there just wasn't a dough happening I didn't ask for their help.

When ready, sprinkle with sugar and eat.


We've eaten all the plain ones now (boo!) and although they do contain mixed spice (something I didn't think the kids would eat) they absolutely loved them! Its definitely something I will make again and maybe just plain ones this time!

BNM