Finding books for the girls


Small girls reading book courtesy of [Phaitoon] / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Why does it have to be so difficult?

How do you do it?

I'm lucky to be sent samples of great books as a blogger  and often let friends now about them. I also love going into book shops and seeing what's out there especially for a 9 yr old who loves adventure and egyptians and code breaking and definately not princess books! But otherwise, how would I find them books. Why are they not promoted? I mean the new Dan Brown was promoted in all the papers, supermarkets and book shops but a kids book!

It seems I'm not the only one worrying, top author Julia Donaldson recently commented in the Telegraph that we needed to take children's books more seriously and I agree. Why when Literacy is pushed in schools should we ignore and not push children's books more.

So I'm going to do some of my own promoting. Here are two books that have gone down well with the girls in our house recently.

Picture Book

Michael Morpurgo Beauty and the Beast £6.99 RRP

We were lucky to be sent the Michael Morpurgo reworking of a classic from Harper Collins Childrens Books and Car loved the book (she does like pink and princesses). We did have a few moments when she couldn't work out why the beast was blue He's meant to be brown Mummy but after we got over that (darned Disney) she loved it. It is quite a long story though and did sometimes lose her captivation so possibly more for not a late bedtime read! The illustrations by Loretta Schauer are lovely.


9+ Reading Book
Secret Breakers: The Power of Three by H L Dennis £6.99 RRP
I like finding books for Bel to read. She has a higher than her age reading age and she loves reading. When out on my lunch the other day I popped into the campus book shop which has a great range for kids. This book claims to be the Da Vinci Code for kids and Bel loved it. The series is about three kids who are head hunted by former members of the Black Chamber at Bletchley Park to solve codes and find a lost "key" to solving the riddle of MS408 also known as th Voynich Manuscript (a real thing). Bel got so excited reading it she read it in two nights and is now asking for the next in the series. She was overjoyed when I noted that there was more than one.This book would be great for both girls and boys (and possibly mums and dads too!!)



So if you have any new books that you think are a good read then promote them in the comments below

BNM

We were sent Beauty and the Beast to review and all opinions given are my own.
I bought Secret Breakers for Bel and wanted to share with you how good it is.