Recipe issues - Lemon Biscuits



Recipie courtesy of [Simon Howden] / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

I've been having some issues recently with recipes. Or with recipes omitting ingredients.

There was the near Welsh Cake fiasco from the other day. (I added milk!)

Then last night, I made some Lemon Biscuits which asked you to mix the butter and flour and lemon rind and then add the sugar to form a dough. And a note saying don't add water. Now, it may just have been me but there was no way of rolling out said dough when it just kept crumbling. So I added some lemon juice and then some milk.

Dough problem sorted!

They rolled out lovely and they taste delicious.

Recipe for Lemon Biscuits (with added BNM extras)

Ingredients
  • 175 g plain flour
  • 1 finely lemon, grated zest only
  • 110 g soft butter
  • 50 g sugar
Method
  • 1. Preheat the oven to 180C/ gas 4.
  • 2. Put the flour and lemon rind into a mixing bowl and rub in the soft butter.
  • 3. Add the caster sugar and bring the whole mixture together to form a stiff dough. Do not add any water, however tempting. If you have the same problem as I did then add a dash of lemon juice (from bottle is fine) and a small bit of milk to bind the dough together! If you don't get the same problem I did please let me know what the hell I did wrong!
  • 4. Roll out the dough to about ½ cm thickness and cut into shapes with a cookie cutter.
  • 5. Place carefully on a baking tray and cook in the oven for 6-10 minutes until pale golden.
  • 6. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.


What staples do you rely on when recipes go wrong? Or don't seem to work?

BNM