Summer Holiday Lunches for the Kids


Silhouette Family courtesy of [arztsamui] / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

School breaks up for summer here next Tuesday (I know odd day right but its because of the Royal Welsh Show which takes place between 22nd and 27th July every year!)

The kids have 3 days off with Neb before I have two weeks off and then they are at Neb's parents for a week but I know that finding them different lunches for the weeks off is annoying. So, here is my list of what you can feed the kids over the summer
Green Eggs and Ham - Not this one :

 
Ingredients
1 or 2 eggs - depending on appetite / child age
Some ham
Some pesto
Some cheese - optional
Butter/Oil for frying

Melt butter (oil) in small omelet frying pan
Whisk eggs and add pesto to make 'green' eggs. (amount is dependable on how much pesto your child likes)
Add egg mix to frying pan. Cook until underside is set - add ham (cut into bits) and cheese (if using) and fold omelet over. Cook until ready. Serve with salad and quote some of the poem at the kids

Say!
I like green eggs and ham!
I do!! I like them, Sam-I-am!
And I would eat them in a boat!
And I would eat them with a goat...
And I will eat them in the rain.
And in the dark. And on a train.
And in a car. And in a tree.
They are so good so good you see!

So I will eat them in a box.
And I will eat them with a fox.
And I will eat them in a house.
And I will eat them with a mouse.
And I will eat them here and there.
Say! I will eat them ANYWHERE!

I do so like
green eggs and ham!
Thank you!
Thank you,
Sam-I-am

Homemade French Bread Pizza

If your like me you will remember eating these as a child (except they were frozen and not all that nice). The kids had this on Sunday and absolutely loved them. And I was Magic Mummy as they took no time at all to make
Ingredients

French Bread - I used about a quarter between my two but it depends how hungry your kids are!
Tomato Sauce for pizza topping - I cheated and used some ketchup, some tomato puree all mixed up with some mixed herbs (make enough for pizza)
Cheese - grated Cheddar in our case but Mozzarella will work well too!
Toppings - depending on what their favourite is - but we had one plain and one with Ham

Cut bread in half (length ways) and place under grill to start toasting.
When brown, remove, spread on sauce, toppings and cheese then return to grill until cheese has melted.
Serve!

 continuing with the pizza theme how about some 

Puff Pastry Pizza Pinwheels

These are great because you can make them the night before and they can then be reheated!
Ingredients
1 Pack puff pastry (you could make your own but really why bother!)
Pizza Sauce ( I tend to use jarred pizza sauce if  making these as the consistency is better
Mixed Herbs
Cheese

Roll out puff pastry until the same height as a £1 coin. 



Smother sauce over top but remember to leave a border of 1 cm around the edges, add herbs and grated cheese.

Roll tightly into a Swiss roll then chill for 10 mins.

Cut into 12 equal slices, and bake on non stick baking trays . Brush each pinwheel with beaten egg. Bake for 12-15 minutes until puffed and golden at Gas Mark 6. Leave to stand for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Tuna Pasta Sweetcorn

A favourite in our house - the kids will eat seconds of this

Ingredients
Pasta - enough for kids
Tuna - 1 tin
Sweetcorn - 1/2 tin
Mayonnaise - 2 tbsp (ish)

Cook pasta until ready. Check its ready by using chief pasta taster (in our house Car). Drain
While pasta is cooking drain tuna and mix with Sweetcorn and Mayonnaise
Mix tuna into pasta and serve
Simple!

Sunshine Toast
Ingredients 
Sliced bread - one per sunshine toast
1 egg
Oil
Tomato Ketchup

You will also need a pastry cutter - we tend to use circular ones, but have also tried with stars and gingerbread men!

Add oil to frying pan and warm. Cut out circle from bread and fry until one side is crispy.
Turn over , add egg to hole and cook until egg is set
Serve with ketchup drizzled over top. You can always fry the hole separate and add as roof to egg (warning only to be done if second child hasn't eaten hole!)


So there are a few of my ideas, other favourites are Cheese on Toast ( I think they'd live on this if you let them), Toasties, or Wraps

If you have suggestions or family lunchtime favourite recipes then why not add them to the comments

BNM