Bugger it



That is the mood I am in today.

I HATE WORK at the moment. I came back last week and that was easy and fine but after writing my to-do list yesterday I nearly burst into tears. I have soooooo much to do and with many deadlines on the horizon I have even been taking work home.

I normally don't feel stressed, I can normally carry it on with no problem at all but it seems that the relaxing break over Christmas, the enormity of everything I do has finally caught up with me and I don't know how much I can take.

I know that the first step in relieving stress is realising you are stressed (I have been doing some reading on the Internet) but then the other steps they give :

  • Meetings. During stressful sessions, stay connected to your breath. Massage the tips of your fingers. Wiggle your toes. Sip coffee.
  • On the phone. Inhale something energising, like lemon, ginger, peppermint or coffee beans. While talking, stand up or pace back and forth to burn off excess energy. Conduct phone business outside when possible.
  • On the computer. Work standing up. Do knee-bends in 10-minute intervals. Wrap a soft scarf around your neck. Suck on a peppermint.
  • Lunch breaks. Take a walk around the block or in the parking lot. Listen to soothing music while eating. Have a quick chat with someone you love.
  • Your workspace. Place family photos on your desk and display images and mementos that remind you of your life outside the office. 
taken from http://www.helpguide.org/mental/quick_stress_relief.htm

have some steps that I can't see myself doing in the office, I mean can you see me standing up and burning off energy in a shoebox shared by three people. And as for taking calls outside well really!

So, short of hitting the bottle every night (which is not really a good thing) has anyone else any suggestions for what I can do in work to keep myself destressed!!

BNM

And of course when stressed the other thing I do, is not to do the work that needs to get done and write blog posts in work!!!

Comments

  1. I totally get where you're coming from. My stress is a little different. I find it hard finding the time sorting out music for my gigs. Its impossible to do whilst looking after the kids and the time my partner gets back from work I'm exhausted!
    I had an early gig last night and I literally had to run out of the door the moment my partner arrived home.
    As for ways to de-stress whilst at work, I wld suggest meditation. Sit at your desk clear your mind and slowly count to 20 (can do with eyes open or shut). The moment something pops into your mind you go back to 1 and start again (if this makes sense?)
    Best
    Younglee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you are talking about. Though it *seems* stressful - write out that list and start working on it one item at a time. Every time I cross another item off the list that works as a great stress reliever for me. I went back to work last Wednesday (after being off for about 2 weeks) and I thought I was going to lose my mind. But by today, I have completely caught up and feel so much better. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a nightmare. If its peoplestressing you, put your niggles in an imaginary envelope,and,post it off at the end of each day. Sometime once said to me, you work with them, forget them as y, u walk out the door.

    As for a to do list, do short lists so you have a sense of achievement when you get through it. Make sure Thetis a mix,of short and,long tasks and get as much variety into each day as you can.

    I hope it gets better for you

    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  4. You poor thing, I can only offer the following, make a to do list and prioritise into order of urgency, also schedule time in your diary for emails and to return phone calls and otherwise don't log on while you catch up.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello everyone, please leave me a comment because you know I go mad(der!) if you dont