The one where they ate it

I'm sure you all know the feeling. You cook something, which is new or different and then they sit there staring at it and tasting a very tiny bit and then NOT EATING THE REST.

So with trepidation, I cooked a recipe that I had found in a magazine for the family yesterday. Last night (if you'd read the meal planner) I decided to cook chicken nachos.

The recipe I found looked dead simple and it was. Look:

Chicken Nachos (serves 4)

 1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 small onion, finely chopped (or if like me whizzed in my chopping machine - not good with knives!)
400g chicken mince (I used chicken breasts whizzed up in the blender, you could buy chicken mince if you had a kind butcher)
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp ground cumin
400g can chopped tomatoes
100ml water
200g tortilla chips 
100g grated cheddar

So you heat oil in the pan and fry the onion for 5-6mins until soft (at this stage I'd split the onion as decided to make Car's without the tomato sauce!)
Add chicken mince and cook, stirring to break lumps for 4-5mins until browned. (with Car's I took it off the heat and put it to one side!)
Add chilli and cumin and cook for 1 min.
Stir in tomatoes and water. Simmer all together until liquid is reduced by half.
Scatter tortillas in either one dish (two in our case, or you could even make them in individual portions!). Share over chicken mix, scatter over cheese and grill for 2-3 mins until cheese is golden and bubbling.

The resulting pictures  may show you how it all went down:

(it was full !!)

(the only small bit that was left!)

So, big cheers for that recipe because they loved it - and do you know how I knew (apart from the empty plates)

Bel: Do you know why we should eat this Car
Car: Its got crisps in!
Bel: No, Homer eats this in the Simpsons!

DOH


BNM