The one where I my brain doesn't think

I have done it again. I have said something and it has come out all wrong.

Let me explain.

As many of you know (well if you're regular readers) Neb is unemployed and has been for about 3 and a half years!! Recently one of my work colleagues (or useless dementor as also known) has left and her job is vacant. Neb was interested in this job last time round and didn't apply because we had summer and child care to cope with. Now if this job comes round again it will be soon and the kids are going back to school. He keeps on going on about this job but I have issues which in my drunken state last night came out:

  • the post means he would be in the same office as me
  • my other colleague (lovely C) - how would she cope
  • is he really suitable for the job, having worked in retail he hasn't had an office job for many years
  • would he interfere with me or my staff if they annoyed me
  • he shouldn't get his hopes up about a job that the stressed member of staff told him she would support him for.
As we had drunk some wine last night this came out, but in the wrong way and now he thinks I'm not supportive. I am obviously and I'd love him to get a job but a part of him doesn't want him in my office. And the other hard thing, is there's another job coming up which I think he'd be great for - it is in catering retail (which he knows) but its only for 9 months covering maternity leave.

Please help, what would you do/say in a nice way and not in the way that I may have done last night!!

BNM

Comments