Today we have come of age

No, I haven't turned 40 yet (although Neb is an Old Git in November!!HAHAHA!)

Yesterday, Wales and its people, voted for more powers for the assembly in a referendum (Yes or No) so off we went to boat as Car calls it (or vote to you and me).

I had no idea what to vote, even though I had read the one leaflet that had come through the post and tried to follow the political programmes on TV (no, didn't understand them either!). Due to me being a political hippopotamus ignoramus I asked my Dad what a Yes or No would mean. He wasn't at all biased (cough, cough) and told me that giving a Yes would allow the assembly to have direct law making powers. After checking with him (fountain of all knowledge as he is!) whether this would mean we'd end up paying more (always thinking about money or the lack of it me) - he said it wouldn't, it would take less time for laws to be made ..i.e laws that were approved in the assembly and then at Westminster and then came back to the assembly for the last OK would miss out the Westminster step which would save time and money.

Anyway, today the vote was counted and even though there was a low turnout  ( I blame the lack of publicity or the lack of simple publicity!) we did it:






The leaders of the assembly had this to say:


First Minister Carwyn Jones "Today an old nation came of age."
Deputy First Minister and Plaid Cymru leader Ieuan Wyn Jones said it marked "the beginning of a new era of Welsh devolution - the decade to deliver for Wales".To demand respect, you must first display self respect.Today we have done just that, and the rest of the world can now sit up and take notice of the fact that our small nation, here on the western edge of the continent of Europe, has demonstrated pride in who we are, and what we all stand for."

I am very happy that this has happened and think that maybe one day we can have dissolution from Westminster like Scotland have law wise.

BNM

Note: I am in no way a political expert so if anything of the above doesn't make sense then please forgive me, I wanted to share my pride in the nation with you. If you want more information, check out the BBC website

Comments