New Parents Overprotective


Image courtesy of [digitalart] / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

A couple of our friends (PD) have just had their first child and have turned into overprotective parents. I understand that as a first time parent all is new but sometimes is reading all the books too much? Is there such a thing as being overloaded with information.

When I was pregnant with Bel, we we're lucky enough to have antenatal classes not just with the fabulous midwives but with a fabulous health visitor, A. A then went on to give postnatal classes where we could all meet up and she was fab. She always used to know how to ask the questions that would make us give honest answers - like the time when she asked "Who has dropped their baby yet?"  and was met with ten or so mothers staring at the floor - apart from me who had her hand up. She thanked me for being honest and asked what had happened - everyone else sat in stunned silence (Bel had rolled off the bed while I was changing her). She then said Oh so normal to drop baby - thank you for being honest!
But that's it with her, the advice was there and to be taken only if needed. I only had one after the baby was born book and even then it was something I dipped into if needed. I got advice from friends but didn't always take it.

So why is it that PD have turned overprotective. Maybe it was the Do you mind if you use anti bacterial gel before holding C that drove us mad. Or the fact that they were telling my granny how to suck eggs. New parents, you gotta love them but boy can it be hard.

BNM

Comments

  1. I was a laid-back breastfeeding take-the-baby-along new mum and didn't get fazed by much except the type of parents who 'had to whisper and tiptoe when the baby was in bed' types: one set of whom still do this even though their "baby" is over five years old!! I just can't visit their house in the evenings anymore - you can't even flush the loo!! My daughter is now pregnant with her first and seems as laid-back as I was so far: the only new things this bubba will have is the pram (bought by my ex) and new mattresses on the cot and moses basket. Everything else is thrifted or gifted! Love your blog! FMx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am glad that its not only me whose laid bag, Bel went to a wedding when she was a month old and honestly I lost her at the do! I have a friend who goes to bed the same time as her kids and has been known to whisper instead of talk when youngest is in bed- she will whisper when downstairs and child is upstairs!! AAAGH

    Thank you for loving the blog - must keep on doing it!!

    BNM

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think perhaps with miss a I might be somewhere in between, but she was prem and I am cautious because of that. Mind you I would never suggest you wash your hands....anymore!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello everyone, please leave me a comment because you know I go mad(der!) if you dont