The birth story post -1 - Bel

It seems to be a rite of passage in every Bloggers life, where at one point or another they must blog about poo, wee, and the day when they met their offspring.

Bel turns eight tomorrow and before I forget what happened the day I met her, here is her birth story. It is very long and you may not want to read it all so I forgive you if you decide to pass!



Age    27 (at the time)

1st Pregnancy: 23/02/2004 - due date  (edd 09/02/2004)

Pain relief used: Pethidine, Gas and Air, Epidural


What happened...

The beginning..
  • Where you overdue? Overdue by 2 weeks
  • Where were you when you went into labour? In Hospital
  • How did it all begin?

On my due date nothing happened and nothing kept on happening. I eventually at +7 days had a cervical sweep. I was very excited that something would happen as friends from ante natal classes had sweeps with babies then arriving. Unfortunately for me, this didn’t work.
On the Thursday morning (+10), I was admitted into hospital and was given prostin gel to try and progress matters. Nothing happened again!. I was given more prostin gel on Friday and by Friday afternoon demanded to go home as still no movement. I was asked to come back in again on Sunday morning if nothing had happened. I went home Friday night had a curry, walked a pebbly beach and if I hadn’t felt like an elephant would have had sex just to move things along but still nothing. As you can imagine I was getting fed up by now, even more when my Gran rang and asked if the baby had arrived yet and saying with it that people were waiting you know!
I went back into hospital early Sunday morning and was given a final dose of gel. I was told that if this didn’t work then I had to make a decision between oxytocin drip induced or a Cesarean. By mid afternoon something seemed to be happening and I was given some pethidine for the pain.



The Middle
*Did labour progress naturally?
By early Monday morning nothing was happening again so I was asked for a decision. Not wanting a c-section, I decided to go for the drip. And, boy did it work! I hadn’t realised that the drip meant that my contractions would start right away and to ensure that things progressed by waters where broken with a hook. Having the drip in my arm meant that I couldn’t walk around the room to help contractions so it hurt. I was given more pethidine to help with the pain and while on it did hallucinate! (I thought my mum was in the room with me- she had been dead 2 years). I was then given some gas and air which I thought would help the pain but the contractions got worse. I was adamant that I didn’t want an epidural having heard scare stories about it damaging your back. The midwives called the on call anaesthetist who came and spoke to me about the process. I then after a lot more pain agreed to have it put in and it magically stopped all the pain. My legs were put into stirrups (ready for the birth) and soon I was asked to push. A doctor then came into assist with the birth.
Except hang on I couldn’t feel the contractions, nada, nothing at all. I was at this point swearing at the midwife, my husband and everyone in the room.

To help with the pushing, a midwife came in and put her hand on my tummy and had to tell me when to push. So there she was saying push and there I was swearing my head off going I am &*^ pushing!.

Except of course, my baby wasn’t coming out. So out came the ventouse cap and on that went to try and get her out. But the ventouse wouldn’t stay on her head. The doctor tried twice to get it to stay on but it wouldn’t. Then, the forceps came out. Obviously, as I was lying down I didn’t see them but my poor husband did and just kept on holding my hand and saying everything would be fine. The forceps went on and eventually my beautiful baby girl came out.

Since writing this, and watching many episodes of one born every minute, Neb has opened up and said it was very scary and he didn’t really know if she and I would be OK. The following is what he told me happened :The ventouse would stay on for a bit and then slip off due to Bel having a funny shaped head  (apparently like him). He said I screamed when they put the forceps in even though I was drugged up and that there was a lot of blood. I seem to have forgotten that it took a while before Bel came out. After they did and my placenta cord snapped he said it was like the gates had opened as the trough seemed to fill with blood. Even though he had hated the anaesthetist the first time he saw him , he could have hugged him when he came back and took over especially as the doctor was quite ignorant and nasty towards me and him


My baby wasn’t passed to me straight away, as they had to check her over. I got a quick look of her and then as they tried to get the placenta out the cord snapped. My daughter was passed to my husband and then they were trying to decide what to do next, there was talk of taking me to theatre to remove it. Also, the epidural had worn out and so they rang the anaesthetist. The same man appeared, asked me Why I hadn’t finished and recommended to the doctor that he try manual removal but that there was no point giving me another epidural, and asked me to breath the gas and air and only the gas and air. The doctor manually removed the placenta, stitched my cuts (I had to be cut for both ventouse and forceps use!) and then I held my baby girl.

*How long was your recovery?
I was in hospital for 4 days. Bel wouldn’t feed from me and after a lot of agonising and being told by a senior midwife that I would never be able to breast feed (apparently my nipples weren’t big enough!), I let them feed her. I then decided to bottle feed her as even though she slept well, I couldn’t face the agony of trying to feed her myself. On the day we left hospital it snowed, and I nearly wasn’t let home as the roads around the hospital were being closed.





BNM


I will post a pic of her on this but I can't seem to find the digital ones at the moment.

Comments