Eating out

Unluckily we (as in me and Neb) aren't the type of parents who get to eat out that often. There are two reasons for this: 1) we are always skint  and 2) Neb is a fussy bugger! He won't eat veg, or fishy fish, or offal or anything too poncy, or anything bleeding!

So he was very surprised when I decided to take him out for a meal last night. (due to not having to pay council tax this month!). What was more surprising was that he let me pick the place. So, deeming that his favourite Italian was out (its the only one in my home town and when I've been there several times since 18 it gets a bit booring!), I picked a local pub restaurant not far from our house. We got the babysitters in (Bel's godparents) and off we went.

Icy cold as it was last night, we wrapped up warm and got to the pub. Sitting in the front bar with our drinks and menus it felt pleasant to be out. We ordered and went up to our table to wait. (I had a chicken dish , he had posh burger!) Our waitress was very attentive but we were only one of three tables in the place. We even had wine off the wine list - Neb laughed at me when I asked why the wine glasses were so large and why he wasn't filling it up more! (he said I was meant to let the wine breathe- BAH!). We were bought someone elses food, which I nearly started eating and then are food came .

Both our plates of food looked lovely and even though (as usual) I did manage to eat most of mine before Neb touched his, it was delicious. Sitting in the restaurant eating poshly together, I thought my god we've grown up. (Yes, I know I'm 35 but you know it doesn't happen often!). Unfortunately one of the couples on the tables behind us hadn't... Neb nudged me as they shared the soup starter and then when they're fish dishes arrived (haddock on a bed of creamed leeks) along with it came some chips and a side order of beans (something not on the menu!). I tried my hardest not to laugh too loud and we both hid our giggles behind the napkins.

We then had dessert -well Neb did I had a cheese board (which I shared with him and took some home too). We finished off the meal, sitting in front of the roaring fire with after dinner drinks. Neb was very happy that his 18yearold whisky was cheaper than he thought it would be.

If Neb hadn't been working the next day,we would've stayed longer but we came home, sent our babysitters packing, drank some pink fizz and then I did my usual Friday thing of falling asleep in front of the TV.

It was lovely to be out with Neb and we may have to do it more often. I'm wondering whether we can get my dad to babysit for us next time so we can pop to a different restaurant!


BNM

Comments