Easy as A B C

 

 
 
 
What did you guys do over lockdown. Did you become a star that had old women fawning over her? No, just me then.

Before you all think, she's lost it again, and OMG did she start an only fans ( definitely and no in that order) it's something less exciting than this but it did involve some recording in my bedroom, in Hay and in a library.

So, what was it you ask

Well











Yeah sorry, trying to get the suspense up.. I became part of a radio book club. Not any radio but BBC Radio Wales (for all you non Uk people reading this BBC Radio Wales is a Welsh radio station owned by a division of the BBC) - its quite a big thing.
 
So I am part of the  Aberystwyth Book Club.

I love to read but over lockdown what with working from home, home learning for the kids and everything else happening from home and no further than that it kind of went to the end of my list. 

But a random email from a friend later, and Ive then got a microphone and a zoom call and a poetry book read and re read and notes made, I become part of the then online book club. The experience has been surreal, I dont like listening back to my own voice (I do actually sound Welsh). 

Our little programme, made it to Hay Literary Festival last year ( a festival based on books  in Hay) and after revieweing the book that I didnt finish reading until the last minute we met in person for the first time and reviewed in front of a live audience, who then fawned over us in a ooo your all great kind of way.

The photo below was after I'd done my stint, we'd walked round, decided not to eat at Hay due to a cheese toastie being a tenner so we legged it back to Abergavenny for food instead.




So, I've been in 4 episodes of the book club and had the chance to read books that I wouldnt have picked myself and I've enjoyed it. The club is heading to Hay again this year but am unsure if I will be going along as it depends on who our lovely producer picks. We had the first ABC Christmas party belatedly this week and we've all come a long way from recording in our homes during lockdown.

If you want to listen and see if you can spot my voice, then you can find Aberystwyth Book Club  on  the BBC here and its also available on BBC sounds.

Unfortuantely I'm going through a book slump at the moment and struggling to finish books. I'm currently reading Say Nothing: A true story of murder and memory in Northern Ireland - which is not a light book so probably the main cuplirt of the slump. 

Let me know what book you think I should read..

BNM













Comments