Are Welsh people posh?

Recently I have had a trouble with posting as I seem to be suffering from lack of imagination or a writer's block or a cold.. I don't really know!!

Anyway I have been for a while following A Mother's Ramblings and her recent post with the banana got me into a comment debate with her which then led to her threatening to come here and sort me out so here's my post!

So the question is are Welsh people posh? According to Pippa we are but obviously she has been to the wrong places of Wales on holidays. This is like me saying that all English people are posh and are born with plums in their mouths!! If you have the plum then I am sorry!!

And why can you answer the question I hear you ask .... go on ask it!!
See, I'm  Welsh me born and bred and I'm sure if you accidentally cut my arm off the middle would say  made in wales! (or in Welsh Cymraes - Welsh woman!)

So as always on a start of any debate (or question from Bel) I contacted the great god Google with the question Are Welsh people posh?



And (as can be seen above)  I am not the first person to ask this question... there is even a facebook page set up called:



So from this there are Posh Welsh people its just that I may miss them due to them sounding English!

Another link shows that in history English was considered Posh and the Welsh language was not.. so does that mean only the people from Wales who speak Welsh are not posh like me and the others posh! I'm in the bit closes to the sea!



Chris Corcoran - Welsh comedian/ Actor and CBeebies hottie from Doodle Do
once said that in Welsh the word posh - didn't mean the same as in English. " The basic rule of thumb in Wales is that if it’s not broken or covered in fluff, it’s ‘posh’. I remember buying my auntie a tea towel for Christmas once and she opened it up and said, ‘Ooh there’s posh’ and I thought, ‘If a tea towel is posh, what have you been using to wipe the dishes all these years?". He looks nicer here mind


So I think from all my research (during my lunch hour in work- well it is raining) that maybe some are and some aren't but I can tell you now that top of my not posh list would be Nessa Jenkins aka Ruth Jones (see below).





Bryn and Nessa - Gavin & Stacey













I hope that explained it all !!!!- I'm off to do some work now - and Pippa -its 3 cream crackers with a knife and fork (world record is 3.07 mins!)

BNM
xx

Comments

  1. Well Mr definitely isn't posh, but his Aunty lived in Lisvane (in Cardiff) and apparently that is posh! I think you are right that any really posh Welsh people probably sound English :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Corcoran a paddy !. But Griff Rhys-Jones is a bit posh in the English meaning of the word.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm yes I quite like that bloke off Doodle Do but had always thought it inappropriate given his relationship with his gloves, but now I know he's a bona fide comedian I will come 'out' about it. This made me chuckle :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I rather like Griff R-J, and Catherine Jenkins, my but that woman can belt out a tune. And it warms the cockles of me-heart she is a bit of a nationlist also.

    Here in Ireland there is this expression, 'Native', or cannot claim any English blood whatsoever. Well I would fit the bill nicely as my DNA is connected to the Lady of Pembrokeshire and the cave painters of France and Spain.
    And it is rather nice to point out that while we had a high culture they were with their heads inside the belly of some animal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Welsh cousins (who come from that top left bit that sticks right out into the sea) speak with such North Wales accents they sometimes get mistaken for scousers! So definitely not posh at all!!

    (Just wait for the comments from the scousers - he he he)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm I come from Anglesey in North Wales and must admit I have never been called posh. Mind you, when I was 7 I went to school in Stockport for about 3 years and was called Welshie relentlessly. By the time I went back to school on Anglesey I was called English and have been labelled as such ever since! Talk about an identity crisis

    ReplyDelete
  7. Working Mum - I think your Welsh cousins come from the Llyn Peninsula, the arm bit!
    The Moiderer - aah your a gog? So that explains it lol!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello everyone, please leave me a comment because you know I go mad(der!) if you dont