When all else fails, cook something

Well its finally come to this, I cannot think of anything else so I thought I'd share my dinner tonight!

On my meal plan (which I should really post) for tonight we have Chili and Spaghetti Bolognese. The grown ups are having Chili because the weather has turned and we need warming up. The girls do not need their brains blown away by the heat in the Chili so are having Spag Bol. I am being very frugal because I am using one packet of mince (about 500g) to cook both.


So here they are (along with the recipes) - please note though that the amounts are guesses (I don't really use scales!)

Chili 

Dice one onion, 2 chillies (seeds and all), garlic and half a carrot (left overs from Bel's carrot sticks at lunch) and fry in a little oil until soft.
Add teaspoon paprika, chili powder and cumin. Mix.
Add approx, 1/2 pack of mince, leave to brown.
Mix in 2 tins of tomatoes. Crumble in 1/2 beef stock cube.
Stir, cover and leave to simmer.

Taste - and realise that you may have made too hot! Ah well!!

Spag Bol


Fry one onion (chopped) in a little oil.
Add remainder of mince.
Add milk ( a hint I got from a magazine - its meant to make the mince less dry!).
Add 1 tin tomatoes, pinch of herbs, a splosh of Worcestershire sauce and a squeeze of ketchup.
Stir, cover and leave to simmer.


See, I can cook (though obviously I can't clean, I apologize that my cooker is dirty!)

We're hoping that there will be leftovers because tomorrow the girls are going to have shepherd's pie with theirs and I'm hoping for Beef Enchiladas with ours!

Best go and check they're not burning!!

BNM

Comments