London - the trilogy - day 1

 As you are all aware( if you've been reading the blog that is - if not its here) I have been away in London.

It was a great long weekend and fab to be able to go away just me and J. Thankfully the kids didn't starve as I left the adult (Afon) in charge - not a kid anymore as they keep telling me but always my child!

Anyway I thought I'd share with you some of the things we did and because I'm meant to be doing some critical reading your getting this in three posts!

Thursday 29th June

We set off from Aberystwyh quite early in the morning as we had promised ourselves a Pork Pie from Ironbridge instead of getting a sandwich etc in Bletchley. So 6am came and we left, stopped for the obligatory day out McD's breakfast and bought probably too many pork pies.


The pork pie shop in Ironbridge was the best we had ever had but somehow they were too salty on Thursday and although we ate them we may not be back!

Pork pies acquired and we headed back onto the motorway for Bletchley Park. According to Wikipedia : Bletchley Park is an English country house and estate in Bletchley, Milton Keynes that became the principal centre of Allied code-breaking during the Second World War. The museum (or heritage attraction as their website says)gives an overview of the activities that took place from the buying of the mansion to the people who worked there, too the decoding that took place. We took a fair few hours in the museum and although it was worth the visit, I did feel in places that the museum had been dumbed down and that some of the information was missing like how did some of the machines actually work. I did enjoy it though by the end of our visit I felt that I couldnt read anymore. Price of entry is quite reasonable with an adult ticket costing £25.50 and a student at £23 (so I got in for a bit cheaper!). There is also a radio museum on site (we didnt go) and you can also pay extra to go to the National Computing Museum (again we didnt go)



After our visit to Bletchley, we thought it would be great to grab some coffee before heading southwards. Around the multiple pointless mini roundabouts of Milton Keynes we went again and I thought I'd found a fab coffee shop but that turned out to be a coffee merchant. Random detour taken we then went to Bletchley itself which is very downtrodden but we found a fab little bakery where we shared the most decadent mini chocolate eclair ever.. I mean cream custard and chocolate what else would you want


With that sweet treat, we managed to escape back onto the motorway where after a B&Q detour (I needed paint) we made it to our penultimate stop - Nascott Arms in Watford for some Thai which was so fab I forgot to take any pictures. Then after being good guests and buying cider for the host we finished our day in St Albans.

More on Day 2 and 3 later this week 


Ffi

Comments

  1. What a great trip!
    That's a shame about the pork pies being too salty.
    Bletchley Park sounds like a great place to visit, I've heard of it but I've never been.x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello everyone, please leave me a comment because you know I go mad(der!) if you dont