Fiddlesticks or should that be fuck!

penelope copy

Earlier this year, I took part in a guest post swap and this is the post I posted. Due to reasons that I will not go into here -the blog that this was posted on had to close down but as I feel like shouting fuck it when I saw what had happened - this is for her.

When my eldest daughter (6- Bel) got to the repeating everything you say phase – at around 2, Neb and I had to remember not to swear in front of her as she would look at us then repeat the said word over and over again. Since then we’ve obviously mellowed and swear words are coming back into our vocabulary. Now we get glared at and she says “That was a naughty word” and we apologise.
But of course Car (2) has turned into a parrot and will repeat everything everyone says.  It’s like having a mini echo following you around.
We’re sitting in the car on journey home from work and Bel will start saying something random  and 5 seconds later Car says the same thing! AAGH!!
So, when the need to say Fuck or Bugger comes along we have to think of other words to say, no longer can we spell it out as Bel will admonish us.
Should it be “Flowering Fiddlesticks” as in one of Car’s new heroines Fifi?













“Oh my gosh” sounds like I’m Penelope Pitstop from Wacky Races – and I don’t think I’d get away with her accent. (or her blondness either!)







I suppose I could use sugar or shit but sometimes when you’ve walked into the kitchen and realised that a) you’ve stood in some cat sick and b) Car has knocked over the flour bag onto the floor then you need something with a bit more power behind it!

Or maybe I should turn the house into a no swearing zone :
no swearing copy

But really, I can’t see that fucking happening can you?

Note - Since first writing this post, Car has developed the tendency to swear at inappropriate moments - eg when putting shoes on and can't do it fuck it ! So, the swearing coming out of my mouth has lessened!

BNM 

Comments

  1. Gah- I feel your pain. My two year old dropped something on the stairs and said "Bloody Hell"! There goes my last vice. I shall have to take up a former vice....chocolate?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My youngest pair aren't verbal enough to swear yet. My 8 yo however is a different matter. Sometimes he gives me waring by saying 'Mam, I feel the F word coming!'. I have to say I don't often swear out loud, what goes on in my head is a different matter though :D Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mini (3) went through a stage of singing "Bob The Builder, He's a Jackass", grinning as she did so. Which started the "Mini is Mostly Singing" bit on my blog. So not all bad.

    She did tell me that she wanted to kick my arse the other day too. Charming.

    But tell me this- why is always really funny when a child that doesn't belong to you says something inappropriate? Or is that just me?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find it really hard as well. And my girl says "damn" in Dutch now too. Whatever. I just don't get people like my sister's old best friend's mother (I know - it's complicated) who dropped a whole bowl full of trifle and just went "My goodness." Sometimes only a "fuck" will do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agreed sometimes only a fuck will do. My usual use to be Bollocks or Bugger it, and I have had to change that, and took to saying Bum, but that didnt go down very well at the well to do catholic school the boys use to attend. I have now learnt to swear under my breath and do find myself saying Flipping heck a hell of a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's quite embarrassing when it's out of context too ... a three year old at the football club this weekend was singing a song outloud in which he'd clearly misheard all the words and everyone had morphed into some very blue language!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I managed to turn bugger into buffers from Chuggington! X

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello everyone, please leave me a comment because you know I go mad(der!) if you dont