Goodbye Mam




This post has been written for Josie@Sleep is the Weak's writing workshop #20. I have chosen to write a post inspired by number 5 - Recount the story of a parting. This is a blog post which I have started so many times, and never managed to finish it so here goes....

You lay there indignant that you weren't going for further treatment.
"They won't send me you know - they say I'm not well".
I asked you how you were (the answer I knew so well - you had days to live, you weren't going for the treatment as there was no point- it had spread into every organ)
"What do you think" was the answer you sharply snapped back at me -I wondered if you knew, if you'd picked up some hint from the doctors who had told us!
I sat down quietly next to you and apologised. My brother came in - we sat in silent together until your breathing got worse and they had to put an oxygen mask over your head and up the morphine.
You kept on asking "Where's T (my dad)" and the answer I gave time and time again that evening was "He's on the train -he'll be back now". He hadn't wanted to go on his conference but you on one of the stubborn streaks (that I have inherited) had told him he had to because there was nothing wrong with you and you were going to the other hospital for treatment.
As you got worse, my brother hung on - where's dad, where is he - will he make it? I stayed strong for him and you then - letting you both know that he was on is way. (He was stuck due to a train problem and was slowly on his way back).
Tears were running down my face, as I held on to you and to my brother. You were fading away in front of us - the strong lady that I looked up to. You held on for what seemed like an eternity and then dad rushed in.
He came up to you - put his arms around you and held you. I can't remember if you whispered his name - (many moments of that day are blacked out in my mind)but you waited until he was in that room before you passed on.

We held my dad as you left us, departed the life that had been so good and yet health wise so bad for you.

The arthritis which never beat you, it made you waddle and you always joked that if we shook you you'd rattle! And then the breast cancer which you fought so hard the first time and after a masectomy we thought you'd won - the all clear had been given. But then it came back with a vengeance and you said you had no power to fight it anymore, but you did until it spread into every organ.

You never saw me or my brother marry, never met your two gorgeous granddaughters (or the third grandchild that is due to my brother soon!). The hurt of your parting is as strong now as it always has been. I wish that your body had fought harder but as you used to say "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride".

Comments

  1. So sad, so beautifully written. Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ((hugs)), a beautifully written tribute to your Mum. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry for your loss, I too understand the pain of losing a loved one, but not my mother, please not yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was such a beautiful post. You have me crying. I'm so sorry for your loss. I have been lucky enough not to lose anybody dear yet. But I know that one day it will happen, and I dread it. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. such a beautiful and sad post. What a great tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely post, I lost my mam too and it never goes away does it....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I dont think words can express that heartfelt post, always thinking of you and here for you, one thing is for sure your mum would be so proud of you and the girls and the new little one on its way, wiping my tears away now xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. How sad and hard it must have been to write this. We should cherish our loved ones while we can. I'm sure she's still with you in everything you do x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you everyone for your comments. I don't know how I wrote it either but am glad I did. There are days when I forget she is not here and I go to ring her even now!
    BNMx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Honey, that was beautifully written. I have just shed alot of tears.

    For those who weren't as lucky as I was to know your Mum, she was the most fantastic person .... funny, caring, strong, genuine, definately stubborn - you are completely right on that!!!! and gave the best cuddles.

    Lastofthemojitos is right, she IS still with you in everything you do.

    Sending you lots of hugs
    Wi xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. XXX
    http://marketingtomilk.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. *huge hugs* Such a heart breaking and moving post. As everyone else has said, beautifully written. I'm crying like a trooper. So sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A beautiful and moving post. I'm so sorry for your loss, but I'm sure she's with you in spirit. Thank you for sharing such a personal and raw post. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd delayed reading this, because I suspected I would cry - and I did. It is so beautifully written. I knew she would hang on for your Dad. I'm so sorry for your loss. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful and moving. You made me cry.

    MD xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello everyone, please leave me a comment because you know I go mad(der!) if you dont