The last noo noo!!

One of my hopes for the new year is to wean Car off her dummy.

Due to the fact that she had bitten a hole in one - we now only have one usable dummy left. I've had the talk with her saying that she is now getting to be a big girl and therefore doesn't need her dummy but she is a stubborn little girl ( a bit like her mummy) and this doesn't seem to bear well.

After talking with a neighbour she has suggested putting a thin cover of something she doesn't like e.g marmite or mustard on the dummy. Now this seems a bit extreme so I have not gone down this path, yet!!

Today, though I have been naughty - I have told her that I don't know where it is. This was true until I realised it was in my back pocket. But I have continued with it and kept on telling her that I don't know where it is - so far this is working but what do I do at bed time. Do I give in and give it to her? Or do we have a night of screams and no dummies??

Another thing is we could read her the book below and plant the remaining dummy:


This is a book that we were given and that Bel loved (even though she never had a dummy!!) - the monster in this book in the end plants his dummy in the ground. 

So do we plant the last one and let it grow - or do you have any ideas?

Here's hoping that this one hope will be easier to conquer than the rest!!

BNM

Comments

  1. My friend invented the Dummy Fairy... like the Tooth Fairy, so her son had to put his dummy under his pillow when he went to bed and he got some sweets or a pound coin or something in it's place. Worth a try?

    My son never had a dummy luckily (he used to spit them out!) but has just started, at almost six, to suck his thumb which I really don't want him to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had to Ditch The Dummy at about the same time as you - we thought we'd be up for weeks comforting our son, but hey - it lasted about 3-4 nights. Prepare for the worst and you'll be delighted. It's not as bad as you think. Go for it and keep us updated. (Not that I have anything against dummies - you know what I mean!) -HMx

    ReplyDelete
  3. (and we'd like to Ditch The Nappy - he's 5 in two weeks and loads of his mates don't wear them - I know it'll come but ...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We gave ours to Santa - it was a completely and utterly traumatic experience. But we stayed firm, it took a good week for Ol to settle without it, he did though finally. Stick with it, each day gets easier I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no! You should have asked me this just a couple of weeks earlier! In Belgium, children give their dummies to Sinterklaas when they are big enough. Maybe you could have found yourself a willing Santa.

    What I did with my son was that I planted the idea in his head that one day he would be too big for a dummy. I just told him "One day, when you are about three years old, all of a sudden you will know that you are too big to have a dummy and you won't want it any more." And sure enough, around his third birthday he gave it to me saying he was too big. It was around the time he started to bite them, so you may be onto a winner there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck, hope it goes OK. My old childminder took her son to a farm and told him the goats needed it and when he wasnt looking chucked it in he bin and he was fine about it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello everyone, please leave me a comment because you know I go mad(der!) if you dont