Just a reminder

.. that it's Father's Day on Sunday.

Don't panic if you've forgotten you can still go and buy something and take it round to him. If you do need to post it though you may have to grovel on phone (or tell him the postmen are on strike, always worked for me!) and it will arrive late.

Did you know though that it was only in the mid 70's that Fathers' Day (yes that's the right way of writing it) was officially recognised and has been on the 3rd Sunday in June ever since!

I am this year (for once)  organised and not only have I bought Neb's father a card, I have also managed to post my dad's card and present,as well as buy Neb's card from the girls and have various presents for him. (all of which he has no idea about (as usual! - but he did say earlier that he liked having the odd gifts!)

So, what's it like to be a dad and how to dad's cope with fatherhood.

Well luckily for you, I have managed to get an interview with author, blogger supreme and all round sport Tim Atkinson (also known to some of you as The Dotterel). Father-of-three Tim Atkinson is an award-winning UK parent-blogger and well-established author. His site: www.bringingupcharlie.co.uk is among the most popular parent blogs in the country and has featured in national press, on radio and television as well as winning several national awards.  Having spent a wonderful sabbatical as a stay-at-home dad with his three-year-old son, Charlie, he is passionate about helping other dads make the most of the vital early months and years with their children.







So questions, well either everyone on Twitter know you to well (I did Tweet asking for questions the other day) or they're all to shy. So, sit down, relax (tea and biscuits over there) and lets see what questions I have managed to think of!

Firstly, thank you for opening up to me here, I would put you on a sofa but as your a part time Psychology teacher I'm a bit scared -

1) For people who don't know who you are, how long have you been blogging for?

Three years in total - not quite long enough to be an old hand but too long to be the new kid on the blog.

2) What does your wife think of your notoriety as a parent blogger (actually big thanks to Daddacool for that one!)

She likes the freebies we sometimes get - sorry, the essential parent products that we're asked to review! And I think she tolerates my notoriety. In fact, she does more - she often suggests things I should blog about or tells me 'you must put that on the blog' when Charlie says or does something funny or outrageous. Someone did once ask (apropos Cybermummy last year) whether she minded her husband being the only man among so many yummy mummies, but she's used to that. By which I mean, I've been lone male on the school run for years.

3) As a daddy blogger, and published author of the new book - Fatherhood, the Essential Guide, do you believe that more dads are turning to the Internet/blogging/books now to find out baby things than before?

Well, that's what I did. That's how I discovered 'mummy' blogging. I think it's what blokes do. The baby won't stop crying or there's some other problem and you google it. I did, and fell into the rabbit hole of parent blogging. I'm happy here.
 

4) How does Charlie feel about his fame? Will he sign autographs?

He likes watching himself in the videos I sometimes post, but that's the only interest he takes. He can now write his name though, so autographs are bound to follow. 

5) Did you learn anything from your dad on being a Dad?

Of course, although precisely what it is I'd be hard pushed to define. I'm  not the same kind of dad as my dad to be sure. But he always tried to give me - and my sister - time. I remember once being desperate to play cricket one evening and persuading him to come out to the nearest field and let me bowl at him. Unbeknown to us the local farmer had put some cows out to pasture. Well, they didn't bother us but I'd hardly bowled an over when the ball hit a fresh cow-pat smack bang in the middle, showering my dad with dung. He just laughed! I'm not sure - after a hard day at work - I'd be quite as quick to see the funny side as he was!

6) What one thing do you hope Charlie will learn from you as a Dad?

Gosh, that's hard. Can I say what I hope he doesn't learn? Because I hope he doesn't learn from me how grumpy dads can sometimes be. On the other hand, I hope he learns the importance of being polite, sharing things (including time) and enjoying simple pleasures. You should see what we've made with a few pipe-cleaners while it's been raining this afternoon. 

7) What's your favourite party game (this question is from Bel!)

Anything that allows you to consume alcohol as either forfeit or reward. And preferably both. 

(Note, Bel did say that she hoped Tim would also like musical statues her favourite!)

8) Daddy or Chips?
It seems that the interviewer went a bit mad with this quesiton and completetly confused Tim- I think she meant would Charlie say Daddy or Chips (click the question for the explanation...!)

9) What's your favourite colour? (this is from Car!)

Blue. And living in Lincolnshire, we get a lot of it - huge skies, and the same average annual rainfall as Algeria (although they get theirs all on the same day). Never really understood why Lincolnshire's county colour is green. Those skies are our landscapes. 
(Car approve of this as her favourite colour is blue!)

10) and finally what song is your favourite to sing/ dad dance to?
Something slow, so Sarah and I can smooch. I do like a good smooch. Although I also - so I'm told - do quite a mean Macharena, although I'm never sober enough to remember. 


Will that do? And as for the sofa, you're safe - we psychos don't use them anymore!

A big thanks to Tim for answering all the questions.

Fatherhood, the Essential Guide is available to buy from Need2Know books  and from Amazon and is a must have for any new dad out there.
Luckily though, Tim has kindly given me a copy of the book and I have one to giveaway. So its competition time.....

COMPETITION TIME


Just leave a comment below to let me know "What two awards did Tim win last year?"

The winner will be drawn by random from the correct answers. The prize winner will be contacted by myself and the prize will be sent out directly from the author. No cash alternative will be offered. The prize will be sent within 28 days. If the prize winner cannot be contacted within 3 days then a redraw will take place. This competition will end at midday on 22nd June 2011. This competition is open to UK residents 18 years and over only

GOOD LUCK
 
ThePrizeFinder - UK Competitions.

BNM

Comments