A Sad Day

I saw something yesterday that upset both me and t'other half quite a bit. There is a house on the street opposite us where Roy and dog lived. Roy is a man in his late 80s and in the last year has been in and out of the hospital a few times due to ill health. That has not stopped him from when well shuffling up and down the street in a vest walking his dog. Neither walk fast. Recently though he has been moved to a council care home as he is not stable enough to be home alone.

It also seems that he will not be coming back. I woke yesterday (I'd been given a lie in) to a skip being dropped off in our street. Normally this is not frightening but when I got dressed I realised what was happening. They were cleaning the house out, from top to bottom. It upset me that this was being done not by family members but by the council. There is a family member who lives near by, and apparently she did turn up take things out of house and then leave. As I went across, yesterday evening his grandson's wife had turned up to help with things. She was actually helping to move things and not just there to take.

I find it sad, that a man who is still alive can be put through this. He is in a home,granted and his house is a council house but to have your house ripped apart from top to bottom, I cannot find the words to describe how I felt. Now, as I look out of the window, I can still see bits of furnishings in his garden, things that once held memories now thrown away.

I hope that when old age finds me, that it finds me in good health with a loving family.

BNM

To Roy, we know that you are still around and we will not forget you. But I will miss our chats at midnight in the cold while you walked the dog.

 

Comments