Summer day - mini adventure

 So yesterday, J and I dropped Carys in Carmarthen so that she could go and spend the weekend in Cardiff with Afon. I've bought them both tickets to see Alex G for a Easter present (Nope I've no idea who either ) and so after getting through some bank holiday traffic and my inability to read a train station sign J and I went westwards for a drive

First stop was Lauagharne

We visited Laugharne Castle. This is owned by Cadw and was a medieval castle before becoming a Tudor Manor. Laugharne is one of the many places in this part of Wales where Dylan Thomas (poet and author) is said to have lived for some of his life. There are many places that have plaques on them saying Dylan drank in this part of Wales which made us laugh. I mean I dont know if thats a good plaque to have as the man was known to like more than one drink. Anyway, the entry to the castle was £5 which was ok but there is not much to see. We did play chess on the outdoor chess board, which was fun and made me want to play it again . J is however a better chess player than me so it might be good idea to teach the kids it first and then play him again!

On the way back through Laugharne to the car, (car park in the middle of the village but we parked on the road which was free) we stopped at a lovely delicatessen The Ferryman for some drinks. The grey haired grandmother who ran the deli was fab although thought that me and J were having a domestic and were married. I did tell her that we werent and that wasnt happening again and then she agreed when J said he was feral. I bought some cherries to eat in the car which were delicious, a fab crusty ciabatta and then J bought fiery ginger cake. This fiery ginger thought it was lovely but did leave most of it for J to eat. Definetly a place to visit if you want refreshments, also reasonably cheap.

Down the road and along the coast from Laugharne is Pendine Sands

Pendine has 8 miles of beach and loads of jellyfish drying on it yeserday. The beach is famous for land speed records and many a car show has been filmed here. The beach also has the feel of Brits abroad with pubs and the village right on the beach at one end.


We then drove all the way back to Aber for some chips because a) the chip shop I knew had closed and changed hands and the one with 4.7 reviews on Google was also closed. Anyway why try other chips when you know there are good chips.

All in all a fab day out. I'm looking forward to more adventures with J this summer, which will now include Tractor racing and British Rallycross


Ffi



Comments

  1. What a great day out and interesting to read about some of the history. x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello everyone, please leave me a comment because you know I go mad(der!) if you dont