On the shoulders of giants

It's a big responsibility being a big sister.

The things you have to remember not to do - you have to try and be a good girl at all times because you know that your younger sister will copy the things you do whether they be good or bad!

The weigh on Bel's shoulders are immense for such a small girl - we try and make this less immense but as we told her day, You have to remember that Car learns things from you.

This is basically the conversation we had with Bel today when that mighty monster of sharing toys raised its ugly head again. Car is into anything and everything especially toys that don't belong to her!

They were playing nicely, until all of a sudden Car wanted what Bel had and war broke out. "mine, mine, mine" were the calls heard (from both!) until we said "No, Car, share" and then we had the normal end to this argument where Car doesn't get what she wants .... SCREEEEEAM "Mummy, Mummy , Mummy!".
I try my hardest these days not to be there for Hugs and I bend my arms and sit still but she still manages to climb aboard and demand a hug. We explained to Car that she couldn't just have what Bel wanted and that she had to say "Sorry". After minutes of screaming and my inevitable counting to 10 (we seem to get to between 6-8, before Car calms down!) Car apologised to all of us and settled down to play with something else. Bel then realised that she wanted to play with the 'something else' and this is where we had to explain that sharing worked both ways and that Car looked up to her and loved her big sister to bits but she needed to think before she did things because if Car saw it was alright to snatch and not share she would carry on.

I'm a big sister myself but don't remember having this responsibility - maybe its because I had a younger brother that was (I assume) not interested in playing with girl things.

Apparently (according to my readings of the great god Google) being a big sister has a strong impact on your personality and character. I hope that as Bel learns to be a better big sister and shows Car how to do things and shares secrets with Car, she will learn to be stronger in herself. I know that I have a strong character (e.g strong minded and stubborn!) and I wonder if this has come from being the eldest sibling!

Any ideas?

BNMx


BTW you can catch more of me today over with Miss Cherry Red as I promised in mad Twitter moment to guestblog for her whilst she was on her holiday. Go on over you go, have a look...here

Comments

  1. I am an older sister and I remember these things well. I am strong minded and stubborn too, but hard to know if we get this from being redheads maybe?? :D Its a dangerous combo, redheaded big sisters lol. Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe being stubborn and strong minded is a big sister thing as it is two of teh accusations flung at me on a regular basis but not by my younger sister! I remember being always told to look after her and play with her whoch, when you are five years older, does wear a little thin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, I'm a big sister and all that stuff applied to me. I was so fed up of being the first to push the boundaries, always having to be the 'bigger' person and looking after him as well! Yes, I'm strong minded and stubborn, but I had to be to get anywhere near what I wanted!

    Hit a raw nerve there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen - luckily (or unluckily) the girls have not inherited my red hair - theirs is a kinda reddish brown!
    Tattie Weasle & Working Mum- I personally don't think being strong minded/ stubborn is a bad thing as I too have used it to get what I wanted / my own way - I probaly think though that if you ask Neb he may say its a bad thing.
    I have found that being a big sister was good in a way but being the eldest of 2, I had to push for boundaries like what time I could stay out until and that my brother had an easier life, but maybe that's because he's a boy.
    As it stands at the moment, I can't see Bel being like me as she is thoughtful and very emotional(like her Dad) but Car well that's a different story!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello everyone, please leave me a comment because you know I go mad(der!) if you dont