Toddler Taming Countdown

Car has entered terrible twos tantrumtastic days. I thought it would be hell - it has been worse. S
She is an independent monster (its been said that she is like me -and that hair is getting redder so god help us all!) Is it second child syndrome, that they have to be more pushy, more forward than their elder sibling. Or is this just my house?

Anyway after surving screaming and stropping for a couple of weeks I decided that enough was enough. Now when Bel was a toddler you could just stop her tantruming with diversary tactics but as Car is so different this didn't work - believe me we tried when she decided to scream for 45 mins because I dared to put her socks on so we could leave for school/nursery/work! - Yes bad mummy I offered her chocolate at 8.30 in the morning - she didn't want it though and just carried on screaming!

So after a week of screaming tantrums I decided that enough was enough and my poor ears couldn't take anymore! I decided that something needed to be done and as she was too young for the naughty step (she doesn't stay on it!) I tried counting. I told Car that I was going to count to 10 and if she was still being naughty she would go to bed. The first time I tried it we got to 8. It has got progressively better since then and when used yesterday (she refused to get into the car saying she wanted a seat like Bel's and when I said no she started on one - I got as far as 3 and she stopped screaming and said sorry mummy gave me a kiss and a cuddle and got into her seat!


Now if only this counting would work on everybody......

BNMx

Comments

  1. Yes, what works for one will most definitely not work for the other - glad you found something that worked for Car! I know your ears are happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also had to come up with 4 different ways to deal with 4 different kiddos. Counting work with the youngest for a while, until he realized that I had a guilty conscience about sending him to bed at 4pm...mostly because I knew he wouldn't sleep, and if he did, he would wake up around 3 in the morning and cause havoc in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Counting is our saviour too - although i am far less giving, he only gets 3 in our house!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't ask why but I count backwards from 5, it normally works, I don't use bed as a punishment as a friend had that as a young child & then dreaded bed times & use to bedwet. Instead I take something away like favourite toy & it goes on a high shelf, they then earn it back. The threat of that works a treat!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello everyone, please leave me a comment because you know I go mad(der!) if you dont