I hate clothes shopping.

I hate clothes shopping - I can shop for clothes for the girls and for Neb, and I am good at pointing out things for friends but. I am the world's worst person to go clothes shopping for. Unless I'm in the mood (very rarely) there is no point. Neb has given up on suggesting clothes for me now.
This is why my style is very eclectic. I wear comfy clothes and work clothes and then a combination of both if going out. As my shape has changed from a normal size 14 (which apparently is an US 12) to a large size 18/20 (which again sounds better in US clothing size 16/18) I have a hell of a problem finding clothes which fit.

I'm currently sat here in that cardigan and a blue top that I wear for work and my jeans. Now I have a problem with jeans. I will find a pair that fit well in the shop with a struggle (large thunder thighs after carrying two 9lb babies and a jelly belly that does not suit low waisted jeans, and extra long legs!) and then they fit great until I wash them, then they seem to stretch and without the belt holding these up they would fall down as I walk down the stairs.
And then there are my boobs - which seem to have a life of their own. Which would be great but all the fitted tops that I like (you know the ones with buttons) always gape over tits! And then I have to remember that they can look as if they're sagging even though I wore a maternity sleeping bra in bed with both girls they do now look as if they are slowly moving down my body.

Then there are my feet - I absolutely loathe shoe shopping. I take a size 6 1/2 shoe but its not that simple. I have very wide feet and both my girls have inherited my wide feet. Bel has even inherited my MIL's high instep. So shoe shopping is more of a miss than a hit for me. I would love to have dainty feet so I could wear stylish shoes but as Clark's have now stopped doing wider fittings. M+S do a wide style in some of their ranges but I can't afford to shop there all of the time.(plus my nearest is about two hours car drive away!). So you will mostly see me in my one pair of M+S work shoes, my slippers or my merrells!

Even more than all this are colours, having red hair I tend to stick to two colours and their many shades, green and blue. Which of course drives Neb mad.  "not green again" is a favourite quote of his!

I think the worse thing is that I can't tell which clothes suit me or not - I have no idea what looks good , I know that I can't get away with the low cut tight tops and the micro mini skirts of my youth but what the heck should I wear. I envy the mother's at the school gate who all look well dressed and there's me (on the occasions when I am there) looking like I was dressed by daleks in the dark!

Am I alone in my lack of knowing what's right. I wish that I had a fairy "Gok Wan" style godmother to help me dress. Anyone know of one?

Have a nice weekend
BNMx

Comments

  1. If you weren't so very far away - I'd go with you - I love to dress other people! What in the world is a dalek?

    ReplyDelete
  2. BNM - You are certainly not alone... I only dress in 'proper' clothes if I'm going out, otherwise it's pj bottoms or trackies and a nightie..Can't beat the comfort.
    When I do go out I wear jeans... and a top of some description, accompanied by my £8 ugg boot imitation thingies, or flip flops in summer.
    Maybe we should go shopping together, we're bound to find at least one good outfit between us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I now have a wonderful image of Daleks dressing you. how does that work, they don't even have arms?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, you sound like me. I hate shopping full stop, but when it comes to clothes I just can't seem to find anything I like. With a figure that would look good on a jelly plate I often walk past the shops with skinny manequins in the windows.

    CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gigi - see here for a dalek (he's one of Dr Who's enemies - has Dr who reached stateside http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalek)

    Heather - they have the exterminator that would probaly do and they'd probaly make a better job of it too.

    Beth - for clothes need money- flip flops are so comfy - Neb thinks I'm odd!

    Crystal Jigsaw - its not the finding clothes I like thats the problem, its the finding clothes that fit. I go in see a pair of trousers that I like and lo and behold it doesn't fit!Ever. Period.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You do make me giggle, can I add despite all this BNM always looks nicely dressed and it doesn't look like there has been a darlek in sight! No one is ever happy, I wasn't blessed in the chest region, must have been right at the back of the queue, & I hate top shopping as everything gaps on me as well, but more becos I look like I'm 12. A round neck tshirt is the only thing I don't have to worry about! This will make you laugh, about 8 months ago I decided to try and take up jogging & decided I should buy a jogging bra, not to give support as I don't have that problem, but just for the exercise/sweaty betty bit. Anyhow I managed to walk thru M&S on my way to Primani, & it was the last day of the sales and all remaining underwear was £1. I tried on a couple of bras and settled on a t-shirt kind of material one, no underwire, White with pale pink edging, & can honestly say it was one of the comfiest best fitting bras I'd had in a long time, decided this was due to not being able to afford M&S underwear sine leaving home! Anyhow I got it home & when I went to take labels off noticed it was a flipping trainer bra! I was gutted! Still wear it mind you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. SuperLittleMen - please warn me before making my tea hit the screen! I've told you before its chicken fillets all the way!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Problem is you need something for the chicken fillets to push up, I've tried them and they looked crap! Just a cup size would be nice!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello everyone, please leave me a comment because you know I go mad(der!) if you dont