Do the little things

 

Today,as you should know is the 1st of March and it is St David's day, the patron saint of Wales.

St David was born in the area where I live and many of his miracles happened around here. It is known that when he once gave a sermon the ground under his feet raised so that the people who had gathered could hear him.

The daffodil (pictured above) is the flower of Wales - known in Welsh as the Ceninhen Pedr. This is probaly due to St David telling the Welsh soldiers to wear a leek on their uniforms - Cenhinhen so they could be differentiated from the Saxons.
 

Leek is also present in a dish, traditionally served on St David's Day called Cawl. We will not be eating Cawl in our house, as Neb and the girls do not like it. A recipe for Cawl can be found here .


Another tradition on St David's Day is the Eisteddfod. Bel has gone to school today dressed in her Welsh Costume  (similar to the one shown below) to perform in her school Eisteddfod (a festival of music and literature).

St David's motto was "Gwnewch y pethau bach" translated as Do the little things which I know in this frugal times we all do.
So I leave you know with that motto - "Do the little things" today.

Comments

  1. Diolch. Cawl and hiraeth for supper tonight ;-)
    Mad x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy St David's Day! (I didn't know it was today, quite bad seeing as I have a Welshman in the house!) Might get some daffs to brighten the place up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is why I love reading blogs, I didn't know this information and we are neighbours (well, apart from the Irish Sea separating us). Have a lovely day:) Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like a good welsh lass - who cannot speak the language - leeks tonight. My full blooded Welsh Nan couldn't stand Cawl so we always used to have Leeks and Eggie cheese. Basically Leeks and hard boiled eggs with a cheese sauce - sounds horrid but is seriously Yummy! There was always a beautiful vase of daffodils on the table too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy St David's Day! Maybe you'll have some bara brith, then? (Much nicer than leeks)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tattie Weasle - leeks and eggie cheese sound yummy.

    Jen - I am full of useless facts me - oh and did you know that St Patrick was Welsh too!

    Working Mum - have actually rung my dad to get my mum's recipe for bara brith off him and the tea is as we speak cooling. Will post recipe tomorrow.

    MakedoMum - I would berate that husband of yours for not sharing the fact it was St David's Day. Hit him over the head with a leek or something!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dydd Gwyl Dewi Sant Hapus! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm, recipe for bara brith, there's lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello everyone, please leave me a comment because you know I go mad(der!) if you dont