Of Windfalls and Wet Days

It sounds like a novel doesn't it... its not.

After the lovely subtropical weather we have had here recently- all it has done since the girls started their holidays is rain! They broke up on Friday which seems a week earlier than most people and all it has done since is rain. Gone went the sun and the shorts and the sandals and back came the waterproofs and wellies. The British Summer Time has begun!! As you know I'm off on holiday soon and I've got fingers crossed that it will at some point dry out because camping and rain is not going to be much fun!!!

Today has been my first day back in 'proper' work since the weekend as I had a conference on Monday. It wasn't in a far flung place just up the road but as Bel called it I was " a very clever mummy who talked about a paper" - she didn't quite understand why I did and even after I did explain she got confused!!

Anyway as its end of the month we are as usual skint - well we were until this happened:


We've had an unexpected windfall - money from a source that I'm unsure as to why - money which can make our holidays go with a bang!

But now, here comes the moral part - do I ring said source up and ask why (Neb said No), do I spend money and tell source that I've used it - their mistake they can't have it back - Is there a law to this - do I have to pay it back if they've paid it in?? or do I transfer it to another account until I know why its been sent. and not spend it.
As most of you guys know, money is tight and to spend it on spoiling the girls rotten, ensuring their holiday goes with a bang is what I would do but am a bit nervous about what happens if source has sent it to us by mistake!!

Let me know your thoughts quickly before Neb has spent it all......

BNM

Comments

  1. mmm, tough one that, personally my first instinct would be spend it, it was their mistake, however depending on who has put the money in your account, could depend on whether they will then claim it back. I think the sensible side of me would say ring them up and check if it is really yours, otherwise you might spend it and then have a huge hassle trying to sort it out afterwards and if it is someone like a bank or tax credits making a mistake they will claim it back at some point. Tough decision,

    ReplyDelete
  2. It depends on the source. If it's a bank and they've made a mistake, they are quite likely to just take the money back, whether it's spent or not, which could leave you in an even worse situation. Technically employers can do the same if they've messed up, but it's very unlikely they actually would, they're more likely to just deduct from future payments.

    Places like Tax Credits will notice, eventually, and it'll stuff up future payments when they notice, but it could take them a very long time to do so (and I think they can only go back so many years... though don't quote me on that)

    I'd be inclined to phone up & find out where it's come from & why, too. Spending it could be fun, but it could work out really badly, and the spending will be more fun if you know it's really yours to spend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My understanding of it is.... if it is not rightfully yours and you fail to return it if they ask for it, you can be prosecuted for theft. If you think it is not yours, I would definitely speak to them. There was a woman in Blackburn who got given thousands in error, spent it all and couldn't give it back, got a prison sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo toughy! Will you get in lots of trouble if you do spend it? If so then dont but if not go ahead!! :D xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. So far - I've managed to spend some but keep some - I'm hoping the post tomorrow will reveal more.
    BNM

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooo, tough one! For me it would all depend on where it had come from and how much. Anything to do with tax credits etc, they will notice at some point and want it back. I think banks can just take it back out of your account anyway. Hope the post sheds some light, I'm intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Without all the details this is a hard one to answer. If it's the bank's mistake - let them know ASAP! Because they WILL want their money back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bummer that you'd have to give it back if it was a mistake, but you would. I hope it's all yours, though, and you get to keep it and have a great holiday.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello everyone, please leave me a comment because you know I go mad(der!) if you dont