Calennig

This post was pre written as I am somewhere on the road to my MIL's. I hope you all had a good party! See you after the weekend if I survive!!




Blwyddyn Newydd Dda i chi
Ac i pawb sydd yn eich ty.
Dyma yw'n dymuniad ni,
Blwyddyn Newydd dda i chi.

CALENNIG


The above verse is what I used to sing with my brother as we used to go around houses collecting money (Calenning) on New Year's day. Calenning is a Welsh tradition where groups of children visit houses with good wishes of health and prosperity. In response to this, homeowners would give gifts of money to the children.
Unfortunately this is a tradition that my children will be unable to carry out as I don't live in a rural part of Wales where old traditions are maintained. I feel quite sad for this but I will make them shout it to family over the phone.

I wish all of you health, wealth and happiness for 2010.

If you listen hard enough you may even hear me shout Calennig to you!!

BNM
x

Comments

  1. Ok so this was meant to come up tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh the wonders and frustrations of technology. I'll just read it again tomorrow. ;-) Have a safe trip & Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a wodnerful Time! Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely tradition, Happy New year hope you have a good night!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all - damn the technology - let peace bestow you all too (Vince I had to wikipedia it! - sorry can speak Welsh not Gaelic Irish!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year, I've tagged you for a meme over at mine. xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello everyone, please leave me a comment because you know I go mad(der!) if you dont