The hunt for the Advert Calendar

Oh No.

This morning I woke up and apart from remembering that I was going Christmas shopping, I'd completely forgotten to buy the girls's Advent Calendar.
As Neb was driving Bel to school with me and Car in the car(!) , this small voice piped up from the back " Have you bough us our Advert Calendars yet mummy"
After reminding her that its Advent and not Advert I panicked and said we'd have one for her when she got home from school...... AAAAAAAAAAGH, PANIC!

We were going pressie shopping today anyway - which as Bel was telling Car "I'm glad I'm not coming it'll be soooo boring for you!" so as we were going to a largish town about an hour away, we though, they'll bound to have some somewhere on sale (thought in true bargain hunter style!)

So we arrived and off we went to Tesco's first to buy stocking bits, cava,crackers and other pressies. We looked around and they had none! Ok, No panic we thought.

M+S next for some christmas pudding for Neb - he is the only one in the house that likes the stuff (YEUCH)
They did have advent calendars there but I have a very fussy 5 year old who will not eat any chocolate unless it is Cadburys - so no Kinerton's Choc for us or even Thorntons. (silly girl, I had to eat the last lot of Thorntons Easter Eggs she got given! Not that I'm complaining!!)
So after passing Thorntons and not stopping, off we went to Wilkinsons, and there were none there either..starting to mildly panick now!!

We got home and popped into town - tried Oxfam -no success, tried WHSmith - no success but they did have paper ones if I was desperate!, tried Spar - no sorry sold out!

Lastly before picking up Bel from school, Neb said let's try CoOp.

And finally after what felt like an eternity out Neb comes with



YEAH!

Had to put them up high now though as Neb was trying to explain to Car all about how it was December and we were celebrating Advent which led up to the birth of baby Jesus which was why we had Santa and all she said was OCKLATE DADDY!

BNM
x

Comments

  1. Okay - I had to scout out Christmas pudding (I was curious!). It looks suspiciously like an American Fruitcake - and yeah, I agree YUCK!!

    Oh - and from previous experience -if you ever want to make Sugar Plums (like in the story) don't!!!

    It's crazy though how we get stuck in these traditions & then drive ourselves to drink trying to find the "just right" thing (or Advent calendar). Glad you found it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gigi - Christmas pudding is definately Yuck (as is anything dried fruit wise!)
    Sugar Plums as in the fairy (don't know the story sorry!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you imagine the reaction if you got the paper advent calendar?!

    I had the same problem with Easter eggs one year. Left it to the last minute and they had sold out everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makedomum - I think If I'd dared come home with Paper calendars that there would have been many tears and tantrums

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds mildly potty but I'm dreading it when the Boys' Great Aunt dies she's the one who made their advent calender then every year does all the pressies for it! It sounds so selfish doesn't it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. BNM: Actually, it's the poem "Twas the night before Christmas"

    The line was: "the children were nestled all snug in their beds while visions of sugar plums danced in their heads."

    Yeah, you'd think something yummy - ummmm NO!

    Make Do Mum - y'all BUY Easter eggs? Are you talking the plastic ones? 'Cause we generally boil the eggs, dye them and hide 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gigi - right got you and on the Easter egg front -they make chocolate ones over here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I buy choccy Easter eggs or Xmas choc too early I risk eating them myself (and if I turned up with a real egg I would be in big trouble!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hello everyone, please leave me a comment because you know I go mad(der!) if you dont